Advising During Spring 2022
Spring 2022 Heading link
Academic advising for the Biological Sciences, Neuroscience, and Integrated Health Studies (Health & Science Concentration) majors will be offered both online and in-person during the Spring 2022 semester. Online advising appointments will be conducted using an online platform (Zoom, Google Meet, or WebEx). Please familiarize yourself with these online meeting applications in preparation for a major advising appointment.
Scheduled Advising Appointments
The Biological Sciences Advising Team will be offering scheduled, 30-minute appointments online and in-person throughout the Spring 2022 semester on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays between the hours of 9am – 12pm and 1pm – 4pm.
How do I schedule an advising appointment with a BIOS/IHS/NEURO advisor?
- Log-in to iAdvise in your my.uic.edu portal
- Find LAS Major Advising in the services section or click here
- Select the major you are interested in from the left-hand side
- Click “schedule appointment” to see all available appointment times. Both online and in-person options will be displayed.
- Choose a time and location (in-person or online) that works for you!
- Prior to your scheduled online advising appointment, a BIOS Advisor will send you an online meeting invitation to your UIC email account.
- Follow the instructions in the meeting invitation to join your online advising appointment. The BIOS Advisor will wait for 10 minutes once they have started the meeting for you to join. If students are more than 10 minutes late, they will need to reschedule.
- Follow the instructions in your appointment confirmation for in-person advising appointments. Students with in-person advising appointments should check in at 3272 SES with their UIC i Card at the computer kiosk. Students must verify their “green” status of vaccination or exemption to a student worker and/or advisor upon check-in via healthcheck.uic.edu. Students are required to maintain social distancing when possible and wear a mask at all times. Students who are more than 10 minutes late must reschedule.
During the Spring 2022 semester, the Biological Sciences Advising Team will be offering online drop-in advising on select Tuesdays. There will be NO in-person drop-in advising. On these specific Tuesdays, students DO NOT need to have a scheduled appointment and can be seen on a rolling basis by a BIOS Advisor. Online drop-ins will allow students to meet with a BIOS Advisor for a quick 5-10 minute registration-related conversation. Please visit here to find more information on online drop-in advising for both major and general advising. Online drop-in advising will be hosted on the following Tuesdays from 8:30am – 11:30am and 1:00pm – 4:00pm:
- January 18
- March 15
- March 29
- April 5
- April 12
- April 19
How do I sign-up for drop-in advising with a BIOS/IHS/NEURO advisor?
- On the Tuesdays listed above, students can sign-in at https://go.uic.edu/majorservice and select the major/minor on the left side of the page. Sign-in will be available from 8:15am – 11:30am and 12:45pm – 4:00pm.
- Wait times may be long as BIOS advising is in high demand. The estimated wait time for online drop-in advising is 2-20 minutes.
- After signing in online, you will be contacted via your UIC email with a link to join a virtual meeting once an advisor is available to meet with you.
- You have the option to call in with a phone but please use a device with microphone, camera, and speakers, if you have access, to be able to review your audit or other materials.
- If you have not joined the meeting within 5 minutes of your meeting beginning, you will be removed from the waiting room and will need to check-in again to be re-added to the waiting room.
When to email the BIOS Advising Team vs. when to schedule an appointment?
The Spring 2022 semester will be a unique semester as we all navigate changes and various challenges during this time. Due to this, we also understand your concerns may be heightened and you may have questions/concerns about your major you wish to discuss with a BIOS advisor. The BIOS Advising Team is here to support you. Due to the high volume of requests we receive, we are here to help you understand when it may be best to schedule an appointment/attend a drop-in versus emailing a BIOS Advisor.
Schedule a 30-minute appointment to discuss:
- Course-planning for graduation
- Career exploration
- In-depth overview of research process
- Major exploration
- Study abroad exploration
Sign-up to be seen on Tuesday for online drop-in advising to discuss:
- Adjustments to Spring 2022 schedule
- Graduation check (for students graduating in Spring 2022, Summer 2022, or Fall 2022)
- Minor adjustments to Summer and/or Fall 2022 schedule
- Brief overview of BIOS 399 process
Email email@example.com with your UIN to:
- Declare BIOS/IHS-HS/NEURO as your major
- Change your BIOS concentration
- Receive course approvals for registration related concerns
- Minor adjustments to Spring 2022, Summer 2022, and/or Fall 2022 schedules
- Graduation check for Spring 2022, Summer 2022, or Fall 2022 graduates