Advising During Fall 2021
Advising During Fall 2021
Academic advising for the Biological Sciences, Neuroscience, and Integrated Health Studies (Health & Science Concentration) majors will continue online for the entirety of the Fall 2021 semester. There will be NO in-person advising during this time. Online advising appointments will be conducted using an online platform (Zoom, Google Meet, or WebEx). Please familiarize yourself with these online meeting applications in preparation for a major advising appointment.
Scheduled Advising Appointments
The Biological Sciences Advising Team will be offering scheduled, 30-minute appointments online throughout the Fall 2021 semester on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays between the hours of 9am – 12pm and 1pm – 4pm.
How do I schedule an online advising appointment with a BIOS/IHS/NEURO advisor?
- Log-in to iAdvise in your my.uic.edu portal
- Find LAS Major Advising in the services section or click here
- Select the major you are interested in from the left-hand side
- Click “schedule appointment” to see all available appointment times.
- Choose a time that works for you!
- Prior to your scheduled online advising appointment, a BIOS Advisor will send you an online meeting invitation to your UIC email account.
- Follow the instructions in the meeting invitation to join your online advising appointment. The BIOS Advisor will wait for 10 minutes once they have started the meeting for you to join. If students are more than 10 minutes late, they will need to reschedule.
During the Fall 2021 semester, the Biological Sciences Advising Team will be offering online drop-in advising on select Tuesdays. There will be NO in-person drop-in advising. On these specific Tuesdays, students DO NOT need to have a scheduled appointment and can be seen on a rolling basis by a BIOS Advisor. Online drop-ins will allow students to meet with a BIOS Advisor for a quick 5-10 minute registration-related conversation. Please visit here to find more information on online drop-in advising for both major and general advising. Online drop-in advising will be hosted on the following Tuesdays from 8:30am – 11:30am and 1:00pm – 4:00pm:
- August 24th
- August 31st
- October 26th
- November 2nd
- November 9th
- November 16th
- November 23rd
How do I sign-up for drop-in advising with a BIOS/IHS/NEURO advisor?
- On the Tuesdays listed above, students can sign-in at https://go.uic.edu/majorservice and select the major/minor on the left side of the page. Sign-in will be available from 8:15am – 11:30am and 12:45pm – 4:00pm.
- Wait times may be long as BIOS advising is in high demand. The estimated wait time for online drop-in advising is 2-20 minutes.
- After signing in online, you will be contacted via your UIC email with a link to join a virtual meeting once an advisor is available to meet with you.
- You have the option to call in with a phone but please use a device with microphone, camera, and speakers, if you have access, to be able to review your audit or other materials.
- If you have not joined the meeting within 5 minutes of your meeting beginning, you will be removed from the waiting room and will need to check-in again to be re-added to the waiting room.
When to email the BIOS Advising Team vs. when to schedule an online appointment?
The Fall 2021 semester will be a unique semester as we all navigate changes and various challenges during this time. Due to this, we also understand your concerns may be heightened and you may have questions/concerns about your major you wish to discuss with a BIOS advisor. The BIOS Advising Team is here to support you. Due to the high volume of requests we receive, we are here to help you understand when it may be best to schedule an appointment/attend a drop-in versus emailing a BIOS Advisor.
Schedule an online 30-minute appointment to discuss:
- Course-planning for graduation
- Career exploration
- In-depth overview of research process
- Major exploration
- Study abroad exploration
Sign-up to be seen on Tuesday for online drop-in advising to discuss:
- Adjustments to Fall 2021 schedule
- Graduation check (for students graduating in Fall 2021 or Spring 2022)
- Minor adjustments to Spring 2022 schedule
- Brief overview of BIOS 399 process
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your UIN to:
- Declare BIOS/IHS-HS/NEURO as your major
- Change your BIOS concentration
- Receive course approvals for registration related concerns
- Minor adjustments to Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 schedule
- Graduation check for Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 graduates