Advising During Spring 2021
Advising During Spring 2021
Academic advising for the Biological Sciences, Neuroscience, and Integrated Health Studies (Health & Science Concentration) majors will continue online for the entirety of the Spring 2021 semester. There will be NO in-person advising during this time. Online advising appointments will be conducted via the WebEx Meeting online platform. Please familiarize yourself with the WebEx Meeting application in preparation for a major advising appointment. Please note, that at times an alternative platform like Google Meet or Zoom may be utilized, so please become familiar with those as well.
Scheduled Advising Appointments
The Biological Sciences Advising Team will be offering scheduled, 30-minute appointments online throughout the Spring 2021 semester on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays between the hours of 9am – 12pm and 1pm – 4pm.
How do I schedule an online advising appointment with a BIOS/IHS/NEURO advisor?
- Log-in to iAdvise in your my.uic.edu portal
- Find LAS Major Advising in the services section or click here
- Select the major you are interested in from the left-hand side
- Click “schedule appointment” to see all available appointment times.
- Choose a time that works for you!
- Prior to your scheduled online advising appointment, a BIOS Advisor will send you a “WebEx Meeting Invitation” – or alternative online meeting invitation – to your UIC email account.
- Please note that your meeting invitation may not arrive until the morning of your appointment. Please DO NOT email the BIOS Advisor prior to this time about having not received your meeting invitation.
- Follow the instructions in the meeting invitation to join your online advising appointment. The BIOS Advisor will wait for 10 minutes once they have started the meeting for you to join. If students are more than 10 minutes late, they will need to reschedule.
During the Spring 2021 semester, the Biological Sciences Advising Team will be offering online drop-in advising on Tuesdays. There will be NO in-person drop-in advising. On Tuesdays, students DO NOT need to have a scheduled appointment and can be seen on a rolling basis by a BIOS Advisor. Online drop-ins will allow students to meet with a BIOS Advisor for a quick 5-10 minute registration-related conversation. Please visit here to find more information on online drop-in advising for both major and general advising. Online drop-in advising will be hosted on Tuesdays from 8:30am – 11:30am and 1:00pm – 4:00pm. Drop-in advising will begin on Tuesday, August 25th.
How do I sign-up for drop-in advising with a BIOS/IHS/NEURO advisor?
- On Tuesdays, students can add their name to the BIOS Drop-In Advising Sign-In Online Form. Sign-in will be available from 8:15am – 11:30am and 12:45pm – 4:00pm. Sign-in may be turned off at any time if advising capacity is reached.
- Wait times may be long as BIOS advising is in high demand. You can check the public queue to see where you are in line to be seen by an advisor. Students can expect to wait at least 15 minutes per student ahead of them in line.
- Once it is your turn to be seen by an advisor, you will be contacted via your UIC email with a link to join a virtual meeting utilizing the WebEx Meeting Online platform. Please familiarize yourself with the WebEx application prior to seeing an advisor.
- If you have not joined the meeting within 5 minutes of your meeting beginning, you will be removed from the list and will need to sign-in again to get back in line.
- If you no longer wish to be seen by an advisor after adding your name to the wait-list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and UIN to cancel your spot in line.
When to email the BIOS Advising Team vs. when to schedule an online appointment?
The Spring 2021 semester will be a unique semester as we all navigate changes and various challenges during this time. Due to this, we also understand your concerns may be heightened and you may have questions/concerns about your major you wish to discuss with a BIOS advisor. The BIOS Advising Team is here to support you. Due to the high volume of requests we receive, we are here to help you understand when it may be best to schedule an appointment/attend a drop-in versus emailing a BIOS Advisor.
Schedule an online 30-minute appointment to discuss:
- Course-planning for graduation
- Career exploration
- In-depth overview of research process
- Major exploration
- Study abroad exploration
Sign-up to be seen on Tuesday for online drop-in advising to discuss:
- Adjustments to Fall schedule
- Graduation check (for students graduating in Fall 2020 or Spring 2021)
- Minor adjustments to Fall 2020 schedule
- Brief overview of BIOS 399 process
Email email@example.com with your UIN to:
- Declare BIOS/IHS-HS/NEURO as your major
- Change your BIOS concentration
- Receive course approvals for registration related concerns
- Minor adjustments to Spring 2021 schedule
- Graduation check for Spring 2021 graduates