Registration Information for Fall 2020
Registering for Major-Restricted Courses (excluding BIOS 350, 351, and 352)
Summer 2020 registration: All students are able to register for summer 2020 courses without any restriction, provided they have completed the necessary pre-requisite coursework. Summer 2020 registration begins on Wednesday, April 15th, 2020. If you experience any problems registering for BIOS coursework in the summer 2020 semester, please email email@example.com.
Fall 2020 registration: Students in the following majors may register for 300-400 level BIOS courses without overrides:
- Biochemistry, Biological Sciences, Bioengineering, Chemistry, Earth and Environmental Sciences, Neuroscience, and Physics.
All other students, including IHS majors, science minors, and students who have declared any of the above listed majors during the Spring 2020 semester, are restricted from registering for all 300-400 level BIOS courses (except for BIOS 351 and BIOS 352 – see below). Students that fall in these categories must obtain departmental approval to register for 300-400 level BIOS courses. Students may request approval to register for these courses beginning on April 16, 2020, which is the start of Continuing Registration. Students should not contact the Department of Biological Sciences prior to this date, as their requests will go unanswered.
- To request an override, students should email firstname.lastname@example.org from their UIC email account with their name, UIN, and the course for which they need approval. Students will be notified of their approval within 1-2 business days.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING BIOS 351 AND BIOS 352:BIOS 351 and BIOS 352 are no longer restricted by major. Assuming students have met all prerequisite requirements for these courses, no override will be required to self-register for BIOS 351 or 352.
- Note: If you are a non-science major (including IHS), science minor, or have recently declare a science major during the Spring 2020 semester and have submitted your name to the override request form for BIOS 350, you will be able to successfully register for BIOS 351 once your BIOS 350 override has been processed and approved. Please see the tab below for BIOS 350 override information. Please do not email requesting an override for BIOS 351 until you have heard back regarding your approval/denial of a BIOS 350 override.
- Note: If a student has already earned credit or is in-progress on completing any prerequisite course for BIOS 352 in a semester prior to Fall 2020 at another institution, they can send a screen shot or unofficial transcript showing their grade or registration in the prerequisite course(s) to email@example.com the subject “BIOS 352 override request prerequisite confirmation” beginning on March 30. All final transcripts should be sent to the Office of Admissions and Registrar.
**Non-degree seeking graduate students may request approval for any 300-400 level BIOS course once Continuing Registration begins on Thursday, April 16. No approvals will be given prior to this date**
Exception: IHS majors will be able to obtain immediate approval for any 300-400 level BIOS courses that are listed within any requirements within their major (BIOS 310,312, 320, 321,343,352,365,443). BIOS 352 does not require approval, assuming prerequisite requirements have been met. Please see the above information regarding BIOS 352.
BIOS 350– General Microbiology Lecture and Microbiology Laboratory
*Please see the tab above for information on BIOS 351 – General Microbiology Laboratory*
Priority Registration: March 30 – April 10
Non-priority Registration: April 13 – April 24
IHS majors, non-science majors and non-LAS students may request approval to register for BIOS 350 for the Fall 2020 semester using the override request form beginning March 30, 2020 at 8:30 am.
- In order to sign up for the override request list, students will need to log in to Google Forms using their netID. The override request form will close on Friday, April 10, 2020 at 4 pm. Students who have submitted their request by this deadline will be given priority registration.
Students who submitted their override request by the priority registration deadline, Friday, April 10, will be notified of their eligibility to enroll between Monday, April 13 – Wednesday, April 15. Students should NOTcontact the Department of Biological Sciences or the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences inquiring about their override request prior to Thursday, April 16. If a student inquires prior to this date, their inquiry will go unanswered.
If a student did not sign up for the override request list by April 10, they can sign up when the form reopens on Monday, April 13 at 8:30 am. The form will permanently close on Friday, April 24 at 4 pm.
Students who submitted their request after the priority deadline, between April 13 – April 24, will be notified of their eligibility to register on or after Monday, April 27. If a student needs approval to register after the override request form has closed, the student can email firstname.lastname@example.org their UIC email account with their name, UIN, and course request.
**Important Co- and Pre-Requisite Information**
If a student plans to take the required Chemistry co-requisite course (CHEM 130, CHEM 230, or CHEM 232) for BIOS 350 at another institution during the Summer or Fall 2020 semester, the student will need to provide proof that they are registered for the equivalent course at the other institution in order to receive approval to register for BIOS 350. Students may email a copy of their registration report to email@example.com the subject “BIOS 350 override request prerequisite confirmation” beginning on March 30. Students should include their name and UIN along with the registration report. Students planning to take CHEM 130, 230, or 232 at UIC during the Summer or Fall 2020 semester will need to register for the course prior to receiving approval to register for BIOS 350. Students will be denied approval to register without proof of registration at UIC or another institution.
Similarly, if a student has already earned credit in or is in-progress on completing any co- or pre-requisite course for BIOS 350 in a semester prior to Fall 2020 at another institution, they can send a screen shot or unofficial transcript showing their grade or registration in the prerequisite course(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org the subject “BIOS 350 override request prerequisite confirmation” beginning on March 30. All final transcripts should be sent to the Office of Admissions and Registrar.
BIOS/CHEM 452 – Biochemistry I
BIOS/CHEM 452 is controlled by the Department of Chemistry. Please contact the academic advisor for Chemistry, Greg Keller at email@example.com to request an override to register for this course. Please include your full name and UIN when requesting an override.