Accounting and Business Office
Accounting Office Heading link
Accounting and Business Office are responsible for maintaining and ensuring the accuracy and integrity of the Department’s General Ledger through account reconciliations and other analyses, providing timely and reliable financial and accounting services to Management and the University community, maintaining a knowledgeable staff who understand various accounting processes from start to finish, providing accurate and timely customer service, and utilizing technology effectively in the operation of accounting functions while ensuring compliance with the University’s audit and generally accepted accounting principles and ethical standards.
Responsibilities Heading link
Accounting Department Role
• Disseminate University, State and Federal accounting policies & procedures
• Transaction based reconciliation
• Financial reporting to Faculty and LAS
• Pay the Department’s Bills
Grant Disbursement Tasks
• Manage all receipts and disbursements for the Department
• Process students travel and grant awards
• Ensure Compliance with University, State and Federal policies & procedures
• Pre and Post Award Grant Administration
Policies Heading link
The following is only a segment of the meal limitation rules:
Meal Employees only Students Guests Breakfast $25 $25 $25 Lunch $25 $25 $40 Dinner $40 $25 $60 Refreshments $25 $25 $25 Alcohol NOT ALLOWED NOT ALLOWED $15*
The Department’s per person limit for alcoholic beverage is $15 per person.
As a general rule, NEVER purchase anything over $499 except for travel expenses. Always include the funding source. As a reminder, if requests for reimbursements are made 60 days after the transaction occurred, the University may consider the reimbursement as a taxable event. Visit the OBFS website for additional information about reimbursement.
- Always create a PO BEFORE procuring goods/services
- Please contact Eunice Zheng for assistance or training.
- Upon Checkout for any iBuy order, the Summary page will be displayed. Please find the Internal Notes and Attachments section located just below Accounting Codes. Click on the edit button for Internal Note to provide funding source.
- Visit the OBFS iBuy website.
Purchasing Card Policy
Do not use a P-card for business meals, travel, and registration.
Please provide a completed PRF and supporting documentation immediately after the transaction has been completed. Always include the funding source. Please refer to P-card Manual. Visit the OBFS website for the complete rules.
Travel Card Policy
Please use the T-card for business meals, travel, and registration.
Please notify the T-Card holder prior to using it so that transactions may be appropriately monitored and provide a completed T-Card Memo and supporting documentation immediately after the transaction has been completed. Always include the funding source. Visit the OBFS website for the complete rules.
- 2022 mileage reimbursement rate: $0.625 per mile (as of July 1, 2022)
- UIC’s Preferred car rental companies are National & Enterprise. Please note: employees will not be reimbursed for the “Optional Damage Waiver” (LDW or CDW) unless the car rental takes place in a foreign country. If using the preferred vendors, LDW or CDW is covered at no additional cost. Use the University’s corporate discount ID number XZ62053 when renting a car with these preferred vendors.
- When traveling on University business, NEVER charge meals to the room if lodging was booked using a University T-Card. The same rule applies to external guests when lodging was booked using a University T-Card.
- Please note that employees are not allowed “reimbursement” of meals while traveling on University business. Employees are allowed “per diem” meals. Visit OBFS for complete rules.
Reporting Fraud or Misconduct, Whistleblower Protection, and Investigations
The University has developed numerous policies and procedures for enforcing standards of conduct and behavior. Additionally, University employees are expected to abide by applicable state and federal laws. Furthermore, an employee cannot be compelled by a supervisor or University official to violate a University policy, an applicable law, or public policy. If you have particular knowledge of specific acts which you reasonably believe constitute “wrongful conduct”, please contact the University Ethics Office via the tollfree Help Line at 866-758-2146 or by email at email@example.com.