Graduate Students Highlights
The 2021 awards, publications, service and outreach flyer can be found here.
|Rashida Abdul-Ganiyu||American Society for Cell Biology Meeting Travel Award (Dec 2019) Second place winner of the 2019 American Society for Cell Biology Meeting Elevator Speech Contest|
|Luis Beltran||Rufford Small Grant, Elmer Hadley Research Award|
|Frances Crable||Pipeline to Inclusive Faculty Fellowship|
|Valentina Gomez||Armour Graduate Fellowship, Broadening Participation Student Travel Award, Student Travel Award, Grainger Bioinformatics Center Grant, Provost’s Graduate Research Award|
|Jarrad Hampton-Marcell||Graduate Access to Excellence Fellowship|
Xin Wang, Wei Tian, Bryan T. Banh, Bethanie-Michelle Statler, Jie Liang, David E. Stone. Mating yeast cells use an intrinsic polarity site to assemble a pheromone-gradient tracking machine. J Cell Biol (2019) 218 (11): 3730-3752. (Online published date: Sep 30th, 2019); issue release date: Nov 4th, 2019.
Outreach & Service
|Rashida Abdul-Ganiyu||Biological Sciences Graduate Student Council Representative, 2019 - 2020; Mentor/Science Expert for the Junior Academy Program of the NYAS; Secretary for the Graduate Women in Science (GWIS) - Chicago Chapter;|
|Deanna Arsala||Invited speaker for Portland Public Schools Biomed Series: "SARSCoV- 2: where did it come from? How to find and identify reliable sources." April 23rd, 20.|
|Arjun Balyan||Graduate Student Council Representative, 2016 - 2020; BIOS survey committee to build a shared departmental vision and 5- year plan|
|Katie Fowler||Volunteered at the Animal Behavior Conference, July 2019; Volunteered at the Expanding Your Horizons symposium for middle school girls interested in STEM|
|Valentina Gomez||Latin American committee member for the North American Ornithology Conference in Puerto Rico|
|Seema Sheoran||President, Graduate Women in Science - Chicago Chapter (2017-2019)|
- ‘A Biosensor Reveals the Spatiotemporal Dynamics of Phosphorylated Gβ in Yeast Cells Decoding Pheromone Gradients’. Dec 2019 ASCB Meeting. Washington DC
- Invited Talk – ‘A Biosensor Reveals the Spatiotemporal Dynamics of Phosphorylated Gβ in Yeast Cells Decoding Pheromone Gradients’. Oct 2019 Midwest Yeast Meeting. Evanston, IL.
- ‘Isolation and characterization of a biosensor for monitoring phosphorylated Gb in mating yeast’. Jun 2019 Finding Your Inner Modeler Meeting III. Birmingham, Alabama.
- Chaudhary A, Turner S, Macam R, Poretsky R. Bacterioplankton response to allochthonous dissolved organic carbon across a coastal to offshore transect in Lake Michigan at ASM Microbe 2019, San Francisco
- Chaudhary A, Kauser I, Ray A, Poretsky R. Taxon-Driven Functional Shifts Associated with Storm Flow in an Urban Stream Microbial Community at WEFTEC 2019, Chicago
- Meeting: RNA CornBelt regional RNA meeting Title: High-resolution crystal structures of ribosome-bound antibiotics provide the ultimate basis for the competition of PTC inhibitors with macrolides
- Bio-inspiration of silent flight of owls and other flying animals: recent advances and unanswered questions. Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology annual meeting. 2020, Austin, USA
- American Ornithological Society annual meeting, 2019 Anchorage, Alaska, USA
- Z. JIANG, L.-W. Gong (2020) SphK1 Regulates Exocytosis via Modulation of Properties of the Readily Releasable Pool in Neurons. 64th Annual Meeting of the Biophysical Society, 2020, San Diego, California, USA
- Z.-J. JIANG, T. L. Delaney, L.-W. GONG (2019) SphK1/S1P signaling is important for synaptic vesicle endocytosis. the Society for Neuroscience 2019 annual meeting, Chicago, USA
- PP Johnson, S Kobal, ES Minor. Evaluating the impact of dormant season burns on forest understories over 30 years in an urban landscape. Ecology Society of America and United States Society of Ecological Economics Joint Meeting, Louisville, KY, USA
- Malone, M.A., Halloway, A.H. and J.S. Brown. The Ecology of Fear and Inverted Biomass Pyramids. Gordon Research Conference – Predator-Prey Interactions. Jan 2020 , Ventura, CA.
- Malone, M.A. Whelan, C.J. and J.S. Brown. Fear on the Reef: Fish Behavioral Responses to Predation Risk. Animal Behavior Society, July 2019, Chicago, IL