Graduate Students Highlights
The 2023 awards, publications, service and outreach flyer can be found here.
2022 Graduate Student Award winners! Heading link
Awards Heading link
|2023 Award for Excellence in Teaching||Samson Adejumo, Erik Andersson, Zana Deliu, Karoline Dittmer, Leah Kelly, Allison Kemph, Kyle Knudsen, Phong Lai, Garry Lewis, Jessica Montoya, Christopher Owen, Akshaya Rajaraman, Alexa Tyszka|
|2023 Award for Excellence in Research||Katherine Fowler, Sriivatsan Govinda Rajan, Madhura Paranjpe, Emily Potratz, Egor Syroegin, Alexa Tyszka|
|2023 Award for Excellence in Service||Karoline Dittmer, Katherine Fowler|
|2023 Diversity and Inclusion Award for Service||Gloria Olorunfemi|
|2023 Diversity and Inclusion Award for Mentoring||Nicole Dziedzic|
Publications Heading link
Oli AN, Babajide Rowaiye A, Adejumo SA, Anazodo FI, Ahmad R, Sinha S, Haque M, Adnan N. Classic and Current Opinions in Human Organ and Tissue Transplantation. Cureus. 2022 Nov 1;14(11):e30982. doi: 10.7759/cureus.30982. PMID: 36337306.
2023: Garfinkel, M., Yakandawala, K., Hosler, S., Roberts, M., Whelan, C., & Minor, E. Testing the Accuracy of a Rights-of-Way Pollinator Habitat Scoring System. Ecological Indicators, 148. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolind.2023.110062
2023: Garfinkel, M., Hosler, S., Roberts, M., Vogt, J., Whelan, C., & Minor, E. Balancing the management of powerline right-of-way corridors for humans and nature. Journal of Environmental Management, 330. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2022.117175
Tyszka AS, Bretz EC, Robertson HM, Woodcock-Girard MD, Ramanauskas K, Larson DA, Stull GW and Walker JF (2023) Characterizing conflict and congruence of molecular evolution across organellar genome sequences for phylogenetics in land plants. Front. Plant Sci. 14:1125107. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2023.1125
Syroegin EA*, Aleksandrova EV, and Polikanov YS. (2022) Insights into the ribosome function from the structures of non-stalled ribosome nascent chain complexes. Nature Chemistry, 15(1):143-153.
Outreach & Service Heading link
|Karoline Dittmer||Graduate Employees Organization Steward, Graduate Student Council Representative, Liaison for department recruitment events|
|Frances Crable||Biological Sciences Diversity & Inclusion Committee member|
|Samson Adejumo||Mentor at Tutoring Chicago - STEM, Lead Rescuer with Rescuing Leftover Cuisine (RLC), Wild Things Conference volunteer, Chicago Biomedical Consortium volunteer, All of Us Research Group|
|Katherine Fowler||Reviewer for Journal of Zoology, Reviewer for Journal of Zoo & Aquarium Research, Skype A Scientist volunteer, Communications Committee for the International Society of Wildlife Endocrinology|
|César Fuentes||Committee on Student Participation from the American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists (ASIH).|
Presentations Heading link
- 18th International Symposium of the International Society for Microbial Ecology (ISME). Investigation of a Novel Aquaculture Water Additive And Its Impact On Sablefish (Anoplopoma fimbria) Microbiome Function Using Metabolomics (Poster presentation)
- 4th annual Metabolomics Association of North America (MANA) conference, The Metabolomics Association of North America NMR Interest Group (Co-author poster presentation)
- Curtis, N., Das, P., Patel, K., Siete, C., Ortiz, C., Jeffery, C., (2022, September). The Expanding World of Metabolic Enzymes Moonlighting as RNA Binding Proteins. Poster session presented at Northwestern University’s 13th Annual Biophysics Symposium in Evanston, Illinois.
- Curtis, N., Das, P., Patel, K., Siete, C., Ortiz, C., Jeffery, C., (2022, May). The Expanding World of Metabolic Enzymes Moonlighting as RNA Binding Proteins. Poster session presented at Notre Dame University’s 15th Midwest Conference on Protein Folding, Assembly and Molecular Motions in South Bend, Indiana.
- Ecology & Evolution Student Presentation: Social Dominance Hierarchies in All Female Groups of Carollia perspicillata
- Translational Control 2022 Conference (Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, NY) – poster presentation
- Midwest Zebrafish Conference. Poster Presented: The Role of an A-Band Immunoglobulin-Like Domain of Titin in Cardiac Development and Atrial Fibrillation.
- Midwest Tumor Microenvironment Meeting. Talk Presented: Neuroblastoma Differentiation In Vivo Excludes Cranial Tumors.
- Society for Developmental Biology Annual Meeting. Poster Presented: The Role of an A-Band Immunoglobulin-Like Domain of Titin in Cardiac Development and Atrial Fibrillation.
- Cell Bio 2022 (American Society for Cell Biology Meeting), Talk Presented: A Small Internal Deletion in Titin Yields Transient Cardiogenic Defects Followed by Ion Channel-Dependent Cardiomyopathy and Arrhythmia in Adults.
- Entomological Society of America Annual Meeting 2022: Can powerline corridors provide pollinator habitat in a suburban landscape matrix? – Poster
- Ecological Society of America Annual Meeting 2022: Can powerline corridors provide pollinator habitat in a suburban landscape matrix? – Poster
- 64th Drosophila Conference, Mar 2023, PgmNr 691S: A novel mechanism for transfer of dietary fat to circulating lipoproteins in the larval midgut